No one should fail to apply to Burroughs on the basis of financial need. Every year more than an entire grade level of our students receive some form of loans, grants or a package of loans and grants. In the 2012-2013 school year, more than 20 percent of our students have collectively been awarded $2,034,000.
Tuition for the 2012-2013 school year is $22,900 or about $1,900 a month over 12 months. Other charges, for books and field trips, can cost an additional $1,000 a year.
Our admission decisions are need-blind, meaning admission decisions are made prior to, and separate from, decisions concerning tuition aid. Once a student has been accepted, we make every effort to meet his/her tuition needs.
Our policies and process are set forth below. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions.
Tuition Aid Policies
- Tuition aid is based solely on the family's financial need. No honor, athletic or artistic scholarships are awarded. Most families with incomes less than $130,000 receive some tuition aid. Most families with incomes of $60,000 or less receive substantial awards, from 75 to 100 percent of tuition.
- Awards are made for one academic year; applicants for aid apply each year.
- Awards are in the form of a grant (which does not need to be paid back), a loan, or a grant and a loan.
- Interest on loans is 5 percent per year. Interest payments do not begin until the child graduates from Burroughs. Principal payments do not begin until the child graduates from college.
- Because no two families have the same financial needs, the Tuition Aid Committee is reluctant to use rigid guidelines in determining awards, and thus, it considers each application individually.
- Regarding the matter of divorce or separation, the Tuition Aid Committee will consider the assets of both natural parents before making any award, and will not be bound by the assertion that one parent has disclaimed responsibility for educational expenses.
- Remarriage of either parent creates a new family unit with new relationships. The noncustodial parent (and any spouse) must also file the necessary tuition aid forms.
Tuition Aid Process
Every applicant goes through the regular admission process, regardless of whether the family is applying for tuition aid.
By January 18 (January 4 for grade 9 applicants and current Burroughs families) – Parents should complete the Parents' Financial Statement (PFS) and send to The School and Student Service for Tuition Aid (SSS), an independent and nonprofit organization that makes an analysis of the family's finances and determines a suggested contribution that the family should make toward the educational expenses of the child or children. If you do not apply online, please mail the original application as SSS will not process photocopies. Please send copies of pages 1 and 2 of your 2011 Federal Income Tax Return (Form 1040) plus schedules A and B and the Parents' Estimated Contribution Sheet to Caroline LaVigne, Director of Admissions and Tuition Aid. The SSS address is provided on the application. SSS link: to apply online.
After Burroughs makes all admissions decisions, the Trustee Committee on Tuition Aid determines the amount of the award. This process is anonymous and confidential.
On March 14 (February 1 for grade 9 applicants) – Decision letters are mailed. Families applying for tuition aid whose children have been accepted are mailed two letters. The first is a notification of their child's acceptance, and the second informs them of the amount of their tuition aid award.
Applications for tuition assistance cannot be acted on unless the following forms are received:
- Parents' Financial Statement (PFS) to School and Student Service of Tuition Aid (SSS)
- Copies of pages of 1 and 2 of your 2011 Federal Income Tax Reform (1040) and Schedules A and B to Caroline LaVigne
- Parents' Estimated Contribution Sheet (PEC) to Caroline LaVigne.
For additional information, please contact Caroline LaVigne at email@example.com or 314-993-4045 ext. 227. To request a tuition aid application, please contact Nancy Vogt at firstname.lastname@example.org or 314-993-4045 ext. 242.