We are committed to a Mathematics Department in which all students have a meaningful learning experience. In our courses, we help students to develop valuable habits of mind and to enjoy and appreciate mathematics. Students master a substantial amount of mathematical content, and often continue their mathematical studies after leaving JBS.
A meaningful mathematics learning experience for all students.
- We provide challenge and growth for our most passionate students.
- We provide support and accessibility for the students who struggle.
- We offer different levels of classes, as well as differentiation within some classes, to help provide the most appropriately challenging experience for each student.
Habits of mind. Students:
- Develop the ability to sustain effort over time in challenging situations.
- Develop a growth mindset about their learning and abilities.
- Experience and learn from teachers with a variety of styles and approaches.
- Reflect on their progress and acquire skills for promoting their own learning.
- Communicate their mathematical understanding clearly.
- Collaborate effectively.
Mathematical enjoyment. Students:
- Are excited and curious about mathematics, and perceive it to be engaging, useful, applicable and interesting.
- See themselves as capable of learning and doing mathematics.
- Experience mathematics as a creative endeavor.
Mastery of mathematical content. Students:
- Are well prepared for the next course in the sequence, for their college math classes, and for using mathematics in their lives.
- Become really good problem solvers.
- Perform well on objective measures of their mathematical understanding.
- Keep all future career options open for themselves.
Many students leave JBS and continue their math studies.
- Some students become mathematics majors, while others integrate their mathematical understanding and appreciation into their studies in other ways.
- Students see our program as preparing them for successful entry into an interesting world of study.