Tuition & Affordability
No one should fail to apply to Burroughs on the basis of financial need. Every year more than an entire grade level of our students receive some form of loans, grants or a package of loans and grants. In the 2019-2020 school year, more than 24 percent of our students have collectively been awarded $3,444,392.
Tuition for the 2019-2020 school year is $29,400. Other charges, for books, supplemental classroom materials and field trips, can cost an additional $1,000 a year.
Our admission decisions are need-blind, meaning admission decisions are made prior to and separate from, decisions concerning tuition aid. Once a student has been accepted, we make every effort to meet their tuition needs, but please do not wait until Spring to apply. Tuition aid forms are due before admission decisions are mailed.
Our policies and process are set forth below. Please do not hesitate to contact Caroline LaVigne with any questions. This process is confidential.
- Assistance is based solely on the family's financial budget. No honor, athletic or artistic scholarships are awarded. Most families with incomes less than $150,000 receive some tuition aid. Most families with incomes of $80,000 or less receive substantial awards, from 75 to 100 percent of tuition.
- Awards are made for one academic year; applicants for aid apply each year.
- Awards are in the form of a grant (which does not need to be paid back), a loan, or a grant and a loan.
- Interest on loans is 5 percent per year. Interest payments do not begin until the child graduates from Burroughs. Principal payments do not begin until the child graduates from college.
- Because no two families have the same financial needs, the Tuition Aid Committee is reluctant to use rigid guidelines in determining awards, and thus, it considers each application individually.
- Regarding the matter of divorce or separation, the Tuition Aid Committee will consider the assets of both natural parents before making any award, and will not be bound by the assertion that one parent has disclaimed responsibility for educational expenses.
- The remarriage of either parent creates a new family unit with new relationships. The noncustodial parent (and any spouse) must also file the necessary tuition aid forms.
Every applicant goes through the regular admission process, regardless of whether the family is applying for tuition aid.
Due by January 6 for grade 9 applicants and current Burroughs families
Due by February 10 for grade 7 applicants
Parents/guardians should complete the Parents' Financial Statement (PFS) and send to The School and Student Service for Tuition Aid (SSS), an independent organization that makes an analysis of the family's finances and determines a suggested contribution that the family should make toward the educational expenses of the child or children. Please send copies of pages 1 and 2 of your 2018 Federal Income Tax Return (Form 1040) plus any filed schedules and the Parents' Estimated Contribution Sheet to Caroline LaVigne, Director of Admissions and Tuition Aid. Please apply online at solutionsbysss.com.
After Burroughs makes all admissions decisions, the Trustee Committee on Tuition Aid determines the amount of the award. This process is anonymous and confidential.
In February, current families receive financial assistance information with their re-enrollment.
On February 7 for grade 9 applicants
On March 13 for grade 7 applicants
Decisions are e-mailed. Families applying for tuition aid whose children have been accepted are mailed two letters. The first is a notification of their child's acceptance, and the second informs them of the amount of their tuition aid award.
Applications for tuition assistance cannot be acted on unless the following forms are received:
- Parents' Financial Statement (PFS) to School and Student Service of Tuition Aid (SSS)
- Copies of pages of 1 and 2 of your 2018 Federal Income Tax Reform (1040) and filed schedules to Caroline LaVigne
- Parents' Estimated Contribution Sheet (PEC) to Caroline LaVigne.
For additional information, please contact Caroline LaVigne at email@example.com or
314-993-4045 ext. 227.