Burroughs provides a rich technological environment that helps maximize teaching and learning. We believe that technology belongs in the classroom when it makes learning experiences more lasting and powerful than they would be otherwise. Burroughs teachers constantly examine their own practices and make changes as necessary to deliver the best education possible to our students; technology plays an essential role in that process. Of course, there are still times where the best learning environment is free of technology, and we trust our teachers to make the day-to-day decisions about when and where technology is beneficial within specific curricula. We work to make available any and all technologies that teachers need to improve the learning process in their classrooms. Our teachers model ethical, responsible and innovative uses of technology, and our goal is to cultivate the same attitude toward technology in our students. While a comprehensive list of all technologies used is impossible to put on paper, what follows here is meant to give a feel for many of the technological tools in use daily at JBS.
- Campus wide wired and wireless internet access supplements and supports classroom instruction as well as students’ daily homework and research projects.
- All classrooms have projection systems, and many classes are equipped with SMART boards and iPads. Hand-held graphing calculators and associated computer software are used in mathematics classes. Science classes are laboratory-based and make extensive use of computers in data collection, analysis and modeling.
- The humanities computer lab is the venue for required computer courses and various electives, including statistics, Programming for the Web, Introduction to Computer Programming and AP Computer Science. When the lab is available, teachers in all disciplines may sign up to bring a class in for various projects. Individuals may also walk in to use the lab whenever equipment is available.
- The Industrial Technology & Engineering Department has two computer labs to support computer-aided drafting and computer animation programs, architectural drawing, robotics and video editing. This hardware is maximized through a broad array of specialty software.
- The new Performing Arts Center boasts a professional, fully-equipped theater with state of the art audio-visual equipment to make our school performances and assemblies the best they can be.
- The library has over 60 laptops and several iPads available for faculty and student use onsite and has a mobile laptop cart that can be checked out by teachers to create an onsite lab in their classrooms.
- The English and History Departments have dedicated laptop carts for teachers within these departments to use for projects and group work within their classrooms.
- All modern language students spend regularly scheduled time in the Modern Foreign Language computer lab. The lab uses specialized software to allow students to practice and be tested on speaking and comprehension. The MFL lab facilitates individual, partner and group work. This aspect of study is an important tool in the acquisition of language skills at Burroughs, from introductory-level courses through the AP levels.
- The Science Department has several sets of dedicated lab laptops and data collection tools for use throughout the science curriculum. There is also a fully equipped science computer lab, which supports computer- aided data collection and graphing. Early mastery of these research skills increases opportunities for inquiry and engagement, for development of investigative skills, and for understanding and interpreting data and graphs.